Monday, February 28, 2005

Why?

There is a lot of philosophy here. I know that, and I'm not ashamed of it. I like to review, to joke around, point out things that make me laugh or talk about things that have affected me greatly. But a lot of the time I like to Think. A lot of people I've met and talked to don't understand the point in stufying religion, philosophy or ethics, nor do they see the point in questioning their lives. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with them as people, but I don't agree with their stance. I can't prove them to be wrong, but I can show you why I feel the need to question. Questions surround us all the time, but some are more pertinent than others. You might ask How a bee collects pollen. You might ask Who planted a flower in a particular place. You might ask What type of flower it is, or When it was planted. Scientists plunge into these questions and dig deeper and deeper. Cells. Molecules. Atoms. Electrons. Quarks. Maybe now even Strings. But the question of Why sends us in the other direction - not down into the detail, but up into the grandeur of the planet, the galaxy, the universe, and then perhaps beyond - should there be anything beyond in the first place. But why, in an age of McDonalds and Wife Swap would I want to ask stupid questions about whether a chair exists? Why, with the theories of the Big Bang, Evolution and Natural Selection, would I want to worry about dated notions such as God? Why, in a world full of atheism and fecklessness, should I worry about an afterlife? "The unexamined life is not worth living." - that was one of Socrates' little gems. He confronted men of law, men of government, great generals, leaders and more. He asked them to talk about the basics of life. They had power, wealth, fame - perhaps even admirable things such as friendship and family. But they had never questioned anything about themselves. To Socrates, these people were living with their eyes firmly shut. Philosophy, and thus my articles, are not about asking stupid questions about chairs. It's a bloody chair - of course it sodding well exists. And if it didn't - if we were being deceived - it wouldn't affect the Great Scheme Of Things in that great a way. Philosophy, and thus my articles, are about asking those little questions, giving in to the small voice that asks questions which you are discouraged from asking. They might not lead to the satisfactory answers that everyone is searching for. But they will bring you one step closer. But just because God and existence isn't the focus of philosophy doesn't mean it isn't important. There are some people who think it doesn't matter if God exists or not. I can understand atheism, and at times I consider myself not to believe in God either. But to say it doesn't matter... to say that it would not matter if you discovered someone had been judging you for 80 years to decide how you would be treated for eternity... that seems a little foolish. You don't have to question your beliefs. You don't have to dress like ancient Greeks. You don't need to abandon talking to anyone who hasn't read Critique Of Pure Reason. You don't need to do this because no-one does this. All you need to do is open your mind and allow yourself, once in a while, to pause as you are being told something and ask Why. Why is abortion wrong? Why is the war in Iraq unjust? Why is it important to remember World War 2? Why is cloning dangerous? Does it matter if I cheat on my partner? Does it matter if I eat unhealthily? Does anything matter? You can live by ignoring these questions, and you will think that you have successfully avoided something unnecessary and boring. But those of you who take the risk, who chance to question and ask about the world around them - they will find themselves feeling a little freer than most. I'm not saying you'll all reach nirvana. I'm not saying you'll all find the answers you're seeking for. But I am saying that the unexamined life really isn't worth living. Rant over. Back to the articles. Thanks for reading my blog, even if this is all you have read of it. by sharing ideas, we share knowledge, discoveries, emotions, feelings, ideals. I can type and type until my fingers are raw, but without someone on the other end my rantings are pointless. Thanks for reading.

1 Comments:

Blogger FinalSin said...

Thanks very much for replying - it's always nice to know what people think. I agree completely (and somewhat oddly I guess) that I can get preachy. It's been mentioned to me before and sometimes I really do let loose a bit too harshly!
That's a great quote, I've never read much Pratchett so I haven't seen that before. The only thing that worries me is... am I meant to be Granny WEatherwax? ^_^

7:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home