Tuesday, January 04, 2005

The Keyboard Glares At Me...

...and I glare back. We aren't getting on well at the moment. I'm not getting on well with much right now. Don't you ever get that feeling... the one where you wonder whether anything ever happens in life? Maybe it's just me. But as I said, the keyboard is glaring at me. It sits there, as it does every day, but the wristrest is stiff and unhelpful and the keys move slightly when I try to find them. I'm sure the 'i' used to be lower than that. Behind me, the radio is talking. But instead of talking to me, the people are murmuring between themselves. I feel wrong, I feel like I am snooping on a conversation about Things I Couldn't Possibly Understand. They laugh and joke, talking to a country of Other People. But not me. I am surrounded by CDs, and though at some point I felt compelled enough to buy or ask for half of them, now they amaze me. Did I really ever want Avril Lavigne? In reply she pouts even deeper into her badly-kept hair. The world, it would seem, is as irritated with me as I am with it. A kind of mutual loathing - the wind outside howls fearfully, daring me to try and brave it. Cars rush past, brash and uncaring, as if to impress upon me their power and fierceness. My monitor has shrunk back into the shadow of my computer desk, and the chair behind me is curving more than usual, as if to kick me off. It is not going to be a good day. But it is a Day. And I must seize it. Carpe Diem. The day, however, seems too large, too expansive. I could study, learn, broaden my horizons. Then again - I could do that tomorrow. But would the Day notice if I did? Would it embrace me, kiss me on both cheeks, apologise and promise to be more friendly tomorrow? No. It refuses to stop harassing me, but it would never consider a friendship. Instead, the Day hangs around like a bad smell, reminding me of the past and threatening me with the future. A new blog. A new day. Carpe Diem, as they say.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home