Thursday, June 02, 2005

My Brother (II)

From the next room, I can hear the sobs of a distressed child. He is mourning the loss of another living being. A small rabbit has died. Bunny is no more - passed through the ether from this world into the next. The loss of innocence, the shock of reality, the grounding power of the mortality of others. All compounded into a few moments of this young boy's life. The boundaries between childhood and adulthood blurred, the crushing truth of life - all the heavier when embodied in such an icon of life and nature. Seeing this, religion becomes almost completely necessary. How else could one cope with the loss of person, the absence of soul, the sadness of the brevity of the life and the absolute, choking grip of death. The frailty of this realm. The gentleness with which life is bestowed and removed. And all now, swimming in the mind of a child who still watches Saturday Morning TV.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think "gentleness" is the wrong word. There's nothing gentle about being born or dying.
(Sorry, long week. I'm going to go sit outside, drink my Pepsi and write about my other world.
P.S. Condolences to your brother and I hope you're being extra nice to him because his heart is broken.

9:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home